When a customer orders carbon fiber with adhesive, we provide them a two-sided sheet of adhesive to apply as they wish. One of the most common questions we get from customers is “how do I apply the adhesive to my carbon fiber sheet?”
Our adhesive of choice is a clear two-sided high temperature vinyl adhesive made by 3M. We like it because there’s no mess, it’s easy to work with and it creates an extremely strong bond. However, there ARE a couple tricks to working with it.
Here’s how we like to apply adhesive:
- First, pull the protective paper off the back (non-printed) side of the adhesive sheet.
- Lay the sticky side down onto the back side of the carbon fiber sheet and press into place. Apply it carefully – the adhesive is very strong and you won’t have a chance to try again.
- Gently heat the adhesive sheet with a hair dryer, hot gun, or place in the oven on low heat until warm (or approximately 100oF).
- When warm, firmly press the adhesive onto the carbon fiber. Carefully peel off the remaining paper. If the adhesive starts to pull from the surface, lay the paper back down and apply more pressure. When you pull the paper up, there should be no bubbles or separation.
- Apply the carbon fiber to the desired surface and press into place.
That’s it! Pretty simple. The heat’s the real secret to creating the best possible bond. Just be careful not to overheat.
Have a question? Drop us an email at email@example.com or give us a call at (360) 573-7800.